Music Banter - View Single Post - How much has your music taste changed over the years?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #74 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Tastes have changed dramatically.

90s: I was originally big into britpop and grunge, with my main musical influences proceeding right out of the book of Oasis and Nirvana. This remained throughout the mid-nineties though I incorporated a touch of electro too (as in club house and acid jazz). Come later 90s and my tastes had shifted to a sound more akin to the gloomier side of American Alt Rock.

00s: I lost interest in listening to music entirely and for a few years bought no records at all, hearing virtually no popular music other than what I caught by accident on the radio at restaurants/cafes etc. Finally my musical interests came back through listening to the radio while driving. This didn't form any tastes in particular. I then began listening to metal for a while, which is what really got me back into music. Eventually I realized that there wasn't much metal I really liked, so I turned my attention instead to indie music. To this day my tastes lie in the North American indie music scene, + a few select indie acts from other countries.

One strange thing: over the period when I didn't really buy/listen to any music, I continued to write songs/melodies in my head. Not really being conscious of the influences at the time, I can at this point reflect on those mini-compositions and realize just how much I've always been motivated by Nirvana and 90s Brit Pop. I even diagnosed myself as having been affected by Coldplay - that is, by merely hearing them on the radio. Scary.