Music Banter - View Single Post - How much has your music taste changed over the years?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #78 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

My music taste has been all over the place really... unlike most others, I don't tend to abandon genres that I used to listen to and pass them off as crap, just because I'm currently in another music phase. It's difficult to trace and goes around in circles. Just be aware that, despite being in one phase, I'll still keep track of other music.

Pre-Music Stage: This was before I really got into music. My dad was an accountant and country musician so I received exposure to a fair bit of country, but he would also play rock music too. So in particular, I latched on to bands like the Beatles (poppy stuff), the Doobie Brothers, Creedence Clearwater Revival, the Eagles etc. I listened to a lot of 50s/60s pop on the radio, but also listened to a lot of 90/00s pop shite. I remember my Dad giving me random country CDs and a Beethoven tape, presumably to get rid of the trash like Aqua. I liked Beethoven. It's worth noting that I played the keyboard at this point.

Music Initiate Stage - 16: This was about 3 years ago when I was 16. My friend gave me Blood Sugar Sex Magik (RHCP) and that was the first album I really became obsessed with. I also got into some other bands like Pacifier/Shihad, Sublime, Hootie and the Blowfish etc. On the electronica side of things, I was getting into Groove Armada, Concord Dawn, Chemical Brothers, Salmonella Dub, Daft Punk etc... Later in that same year, I heard Fade to Black and it really hit me. Metallica and Pantera were the first metal bands I got into as I seemed to skip the nu-metal stage.

17: I was getting into a lot of classic rock like Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Tom Petty etc... I really became obsessed with metal and my tastes in that area expanded. I really kept an open mind to all metal genres, but particularly latched on to Opeth. I did check out more classic/alt rock, grunge and funk, but at a much slower pace. I started playing bass at the start of that year too. Later in the year, I started to get into jazz after hearing Thelonious Monk and Eddie Lang.

18: I started to garner an appreciation for progressive rock - I suppose it was the result of liking Pink Floyd and Opeth. I started to love bands like King Crimson, Can and Camel etc. I also became deeply interested in the 1967-72 psychedelic rock. Later in the year, I became interested in post rock/metal - bands like Mono, Caspian, Isis etc... I really branched out in all directions in that year... I listened to more alt rock and some indie, folk, rap etc... On the metal side of things, I particularly liked doom.

19 (first half): In the first half of the year, I started to get into punk, emo and a bit of industrial. I also rediscovered some pop I used to listen to and listened to a lot more jazz. Further rock expansion. This was the period where I started to compose too.

19 (second half): This is my current period. I've been getting into post-punk, ambient electronica, film/game soundtracks etc. I am deeply into prog rock again and I'm becoming increasingly interested in avant-garde music. I feel a big classical phase coming on too.

I'm looking at taking up piano again and delving more deeply into composing.

Last edited by Seltzer; 01-19-2008 at 05:44 PM.