Music Banter - View Single Post - Prog Debate
Thread: Prog Debate
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseagainstrocks View Post
The Mars Volta are hardly "progressive" imo. I'd call them pretentious.
And this makes them not prog because? Most prog is considered pretentious.

Quote:
And I don't think progressive music will become mainstream again in the near future. The only Coheed songs to get any sort of media attention are the ones with pop hooks (A Favor House Atlantic, Running Free, The Suffering, etc.).
Prog will never be as popular as it was in the early 70s. But I do see a lot of new prog bands appealing to people who never liked 70s prog bands.

Quote:
As time goes on it seems that music is getting better but it's being appreciated by fewer and fewer people. My post including the Cynic video being a prime example
Ironically enough, I find that the people who write prog off as being pretentious (aka punk fans) tend to be the most pretentious people on the planet.

Also, I think Radiohead and Roxy Music could both be considered prog, since they have a good deal of the characteristics I listed. I have them listed under Art Rock. Which is the term prog fans use to categorize bands that could be considered prog but don't fall into any of the sub-genres.

VU however I don't consider to be prog. It depends on your definition. But one things for sure. There is a difference between progressive and prog. Just because a band is progressive dosen't make them prog.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.

Last edited by boo boo; 01-19-2008 at 05:56 PM.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote