Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Most Important Albums To You
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 03:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Default Top 10 Most Important Albums To You

Basically post/write something on the top 10 albums that are most important to the musical shaping of your taste. Please be legit about this, if you list like 10 obscure albums from the past year we all know you're full of shit. Get it? So yeah, rank them in order of impact and go.

10. Blink-182 "Enema of the State"
This was probably the first album I ever really got into. The lyrics were funny, the music simple pop songs I have many fond memories of this album. It got me through my first crush and all sorts of things an Elementary Schooler deals with.

9. Cursive "The Ugly Organ"
This album was single-handedly responsible for pulling me out of the musical hellhole I was in during my freshman year. I was listening to crap like The Used around this time and when I heard the Ugly Organ I had left all that behind and started obsessing over Cursive for awhile instead which led me to get into indie/emo.

8. The Smiths "Louder Than Bombs"
This album was the first Smiths album I really got into. It opened me up to 80s music like Joy Division and such, stuff I had never really bothered with before. It also really helped removed this old music bias I had towards certain eras.

7. Circle Takes the Square "As the Roots Undo"
This album opened up emo for me, because it was much more accessible than most emo albums yet it was much more intelligent than most too and probably one of the greatest emo albums ever recorded even if most people would deny that now because they're "overrated."

6. Sigur Ros "Takk..."
This album led me into post-rock and ambient music which still do dominate most of my taste. I don't care what people say, Sigur Ros is a great band and no one disagreed until they signed to a major label and got popular, figures.

5. Elliott Smith "Either/Or"
This is probably the album that got me into folk most I think. It's not the first album I really clicked with by him, but I kind of clicked with this and XO at the same time anyway but I think overall this one did more for me.

4. The Ramones "The Ramones"
It was either this or the Misfits that really got me into punk but I'm fairly sure I heard this album first. I don't remember where I even heard of them before I'd just somehow gotten the album and I'd love it.

3. Patrick Wolf "Lycanthropy"
I think I got this sometime after wind in the wires came out. This girl kept talking about him and I found this album online, this was around the time I was heavily into Cursive and Bright Eyes this had just clicked with me too though I didn't get Wind in the Wires till a few months later. This album helped get me into the more electronic side of music (though I'm still not heavy into most of it) and also into british folk like Drake and Bunyan.

2. The Blood Brothers "March on Electric Children"
This was the album that got me out of pop-rock and more into punk. The Ramones were the foundation but the Blood Brothers were definitely the house. I could never find a band (until much later) that was as chaotic as them so I wore them down very quick.

1. Bright Eyes "Fevers and Mirrors"
My best friend got me this album and I really should thank her for it sometime. This album basically single-handedly got me into Indie, though I was never heavy on it until about a yearish ago I still loved a few artists (all mentioned in here except for a few) alot it was mainly emo that dominated my taste at the time but this album is probably mostly responsible for all the stuff I like now.

go go go
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote