Music Banter - View Single Post - The Fall of Deathcore
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 11:20 AM   #18 (permalink)
enemyat_thesix
Bancount: 3 ^_______^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice_of_the_Soul12,13,01 View Post
I remember at this percussion clinic I went to in school, this drummer was doing a seminar, and he said something that made alot of sense to me, and might be relevant here. We'll find out.

You take one drum set, and line up 30 or so drummers, and have them play a simple 4/4 rock beat. You'd think; oh, so what? They'll all sound the same. Nope. Each drummer would add something to the beat that can't be heard or seen, but felt, and that's where the uniqueness comes in.

Yeah, there are alot of deathcore and metalcore bands out there, and alot of them play the same chug chug bree bree breakdowns. But they all have something the sets them apart from the other. I could listen to Beneath the Massacre, Elysia, Job For a Cowboy, and Through the Eyes of the Dead (if you consider them deathcore) and while the musical ingenuity would all be very similar, they all have something that makes me think "This is why I like Elysia more than Red Chord," or "this is why I think Beneath the Massacre is better than Through the Eyes of the Dead."

If you hate the bands, I understand that. But don't generalize a whole genre or sub-genre. You could be missing out on something.
of course they sound somewhat similar in the broad scope of music. a lot of people would say all four of those bands sound exactly the same. however, if you've listened to enough of it, you begin to recognize distinct differences between groups of bands, enough to separate them into a separate subgenre.

Frewen: TBDM plays melodic death metal, or melodeath.
www.myspace.com/arqon
www.myspace.com/xlaststrawx
enemyat_thesix is offline   Reply With Quote