Music Banter - View Single Post - Vegetarian Bands
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 08:50 PM   #28 (permalink)
Miltamec Soundsquinaez
Aural melody discerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
Logically, animals have about the same odds as plants when it comes to having feelings. The only difference is the brain, but tell me, when was it proven that an animal brain operates the same way a human brain does.

And don't take all of this the wrong way. I don't hate vegans or anything. I just don't understand why the limiting of your diet to plants does anything to help this earth.
Humans>animals(non homo sapien)>plant. If I said that to a Jainist, I'd be dead wrong.
You're right, the human brain is much more complex, and able to distinguish many more emotions than a monkey, or a dog. Therefore, I do consider humans greater than animals. I still don't think we have the right to do whatever we want with them. Think of it like a metaphor, this earth is our earth. We are given dominion over it for a short time. We are meant to respect it while we are here. People who litter aren't right, just because this is their planet. I consider the creatures of this planet to be as precious as the planet itself. So, even if we have dominion over this planet, it still comes with responsibility. The only emotion animals have been proven to feel are love, anger, fear, and sadness. Humans on top of that feel guilt, greed, embarassment, all of which are fear or love based, but nonetheless they feel a much larger plethora of emotions. Plants respond to sunlight, and we know they are a living thing, we know they grow, but they are exempt from an indistinguishable personality that an animal may have. Also, as we said, they don't have a brain, so we know they don't have physical feelings, and it's very unlikely they have emotions, and Jainists believe plants have a soul, and maybe they do, but I consider animals more worthy of life because of the defining characteristics I described above.
Miltamec Soundsquinaez is offline   Reply With Quote