Music Banter - View Single Post - Six Musicians With Pasts They Hope You'll Forget
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 11:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Predator
Whatever

Last one.
I would encourage anyone that enjoyed this to follow the link and read more. There is a lot of funny music related stuff there.
Quote:
#1.
Dr. Dre

Although anyone forced to endure Ice Cube's recent descent into Are We There Yet? comedy hell would have difficulty believing it, there were once few artists more unbelievably bad-ass than the members of '80s gangsta rap group, NWA. Delightfully upbeat tunes such as "**** Tha Police," "Findum, ****um & Flee" and "I'd Rather **** You" (does anyone see a pattern emerging here) saw Dr. Dre and his cohorts banned by a string of record stores and radio stations across America. Even the government of Rwanda, which seems to have no problem with its citizens being exposed to trivialities such as mass genocide and civil war, found these guys so hardcore it decided to put them on its "banned" list.

There was however, a rather embarrassing flip side to their seemingly unmatched notoriety.

Became famous because...
Prior to 1988, hip-hop artists were generally more concerned with cool sneakers and ridiculously over-sized ghetto blasters, than popping a cap in mutha****in' gangstas and hos. Once NWA appeared on the scene however, funky sounding rap songs like "My Adidas" and "I Can't Live Without My Radio" gave way to considerably less jovial titles, such as "One Less Bitch" and "To Kill a Hooker".

At the forefront of this change was producer and occasional performer Dr. Dre, who was rapidly becoming one of music's all-time ultimate badasses. For a perfect example of his badassiness (if such a word exists), you need look no further than the time FOX TV's rap music show Pump It Up, dissed his band. Dr. Dre decided that, rather than writing a scathing lyric or sternly worded letter to the station, the best response was to slam the host face-first into a wall... repeatedly. This was promptly followed up by a boot in the ribs, with a few punches to the back of the head thrown in for good measure. If you look at Cracked tomorrow and find this article has mysteriously vanished from the site, we think you'll have a fair idea why.

Became famous despite...

QUESTION: Which of the following artists was once regularly seen prancing around in an exceptionally fruity, white, body-length, sequined suit jacket, while wearing a decidedly unmanly application of eyeliner and lipstick.

A) *** icon, Freddie Mercury
B) *** icon, Elton John
C) *** icon, Liberace
D) Hardcore gangsta rapper, Dr Dre

ANSWER: Although, in the privacy of their own bedrooms, the first three performers on this list have almost certainly been guilty of the aforementioned crime against fashion, the only artist who felt it appropriate to commit this indiscretion in public is the not-that-hardcore-after-all Dr. Dre.

While he now looks like he could break your neck without batting an eyelid, a few years before NWA made it big, Dre was part of an electro-hop act called World Class Wreckin' Cru, with a reputation that was decidedly more 'N Sync than NWA.

As well as wearing the above heinous costume, it also appears as though he took the "Doctor" part of his name a little too seriously, flouncing around with a stethoscope for that additional camp touch.

We hate to think how many tragically misdiagnosed patients it took for the world to realize it was just a costume. We also hate to think of how many wannabe gangstas grew up wanting to be like Dre, not realizing that was also just a costume, and that his previous one was not quite masculine enough for a spot in The Village People.
Six Musicians With Pasts They Hope You'll Forget | Cracked.com

I be a lunatic

The answer is hidden in plain view.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Predator is offline   Reply With Quote