Music Banter - View Single Post - Let's All Stop Ragging On John Mayer For A Minute
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 08:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah View Post
john mayer has done some great stuff and i'm a huge fan,...specially after he broke outa the 'wonderland' box,.....
You know I use to hate Wonderland because I saw it as a hattrick of aweful:

1. I thought it was a Dave Matthews rip, vocally anyway. And of course a pop-cash in on the Adult Contemporary Acousitc revolution.

2. Because he was talking about High School when he'd finished (dropped out) of college long ago.

3. It promoted Bro-dom.

But over time I had to appreciate that it was at the very least a well written song. And what I loathed about John Mayer wasn't his fault, that the Howie Day's of the world were more of a violation of the first three than Mayer was, and I understood that you have to break in before you can do your own thing a lot of the time. Daughters was a let down, but his most recent work, which is entirely not my thing, was much much better and I think the flack he once caught was more a hatred of the movement at the time, and less a hatred of him. he's a decent artist, albeit not my cup of tea, and should be respected as such.