Music Banter - View Single Post - The British Indie Scene
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 06:38 AM   #62 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

Just read the whole thread, and it's produced some very interesting and truthful statements.
Unfortunately, I am still unable to think of a single new (if that means the last year or two) British indie (if that means 'any guitar band that isn't metal' now) group...
Except the Young Knives, I can't help loving them (their album is this decade's 'Modern Life Is Rubbish', which personally scores high with me, being a bit of a Village Green Preserver).

Somebody pointed out the best music in the UK is now to be found in the grime & dubstep scenes, and I totally agree.
It's more 'indie' than indie, but here we are toeing the line between electronic music and guitar music...there's such a gulf between the audiences. Grime owes alot more to ragga and d&b-derived genres than hip-hop, at least musically, and dubstep is a hybrid of UK garage, d&b and old-skool dub aesthetics.

Edit: has anybody been taking stock of the increasingly blurred line between British (and American) indie and the god-awful hipster-fodder funky house?
I have been scared away from modern indie long since, but I do follow a bit still and I'm talking about bands with horrible, supposedly edgy names like 'Does it Offend You, Yeah?'
What do people think?

It's a far cry from the indie of old...the plaid shirts, four tracks and adventurousness of the pavement and Sebadoh ilk...not to mention the nu-psychedelia of shoegaze...
Again, somebody already mentioned this and I agree that the cheapening of the medium with the advent of broadband, file-sharing and social networking has done more damage than good, but if somebody could revive my faith in new guitar music I would be more than grateful!

One band, that were never signed, and ceased last year who I covered I can wholeheartedly recommend MySpace.com - HENRY'S PHONOGRAPH - SOUTH ENGLAND, RU - Psychedelic / Powerpop / New Wave - www.myspace.com/henrysphonograph
I'm a bit biased as their guitarist/songwriter is a close friend, but he also happens to be my musical wet dreams realised.
Yet another example of great potential never given a chance to breath I think

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her

Last edited by Molecules; 02-04-2008 at 06:53 AM.
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote