Music Banter - View Single Post - PROGRAMMING / SEQUENCING - are thet really music making?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaster View Post
okay fine... i dislike it and prefer when people do things thereselves... i dont think real music making can be learned in a class... it has to be experimental and whatnot... if we completely revert to programming wont it keep us to learn things such as finger tapping or natural harmonics?

i guess some could call it music making i just highly dislike it
Brian Eno, Robert Fripp, The Mars Volta, thousands of OCremix tracks, etc.

All of them make extensive use of the technologies you are espousing as emotionless and lifeless.

I will put this bluntly.

If you still think this, you have obviously not got a clue what you are talking about. If you spend enough time tweaking parameters that need tweaking, you can recreate any sound on earth and plenty that aren't without ever touching anything except a QWERTY layout and a mouse.

Its not like you're just sitting there pressing buttons and music comes out. Take a course in music technology and listen to some of the synthesised orchestral remixes on OCRemix and you will have a far better idea of how much musical knowledge it takes to synthesize a part above and beyond the generic synthesized beeps (And some of those are pretty damned complicated and require a thorough knowledge of waverforms filtering and modulation besides)

And all of that before you even take into account variations in instrument technique (overblow, palm muting, pinch harmonics) or any note placement.
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote