Music Banter - View Single Post - Did Malcolm McLaren Invent Punk?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADELE View Post
I don't even think it was called punk worldwide till the pistols were invented and he did invent them. They were his brainchild let's face it.
The term punk has been around long before the Sex Pistols, you're overrating them.

Quote:
Punk only began with the pistols. The Clash formed after seeing them so did the Buzz****s and even the Smiths (not punk I know).
The Smiths and The Clash's formation had nothing to do with the Sex Pistols. I don't even know how you could think The Smiths formed after seeing them seeing as they formed several years after the Pistols broke up.

Quote:
I don't reckon the dolls even knew what punk was at the time. The Ramones could be the first but I think it was the pistols and the UK that invented punk music as we know it.
The Ramones came before the Pistols, they were punk. Also there's The Stooges too they came way before the Pistols and they were influential to punk and very punky.

Quote:
He invented them and so he does have a claim to say he invented the whole movement.
If he didn't who did?
The Sex Pistols weren't even the first punk sounding band. Their image wasn't original either. McLaren just saw what Richard Hell was doing and brought it over the UK.
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote