Music Banter - View Single Post - Worst band on earth?
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #1171 (permalink)
Gelid
Groupie

Location: a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse

Firehouse.

Yup, Firehouse. There are a lot of bands that come close to being this bad, but they all lack the one thing that Firehouse had, that made me ultimately turn my back on a whole genre of music.

Now, I like so-called "hair metal" a lot, and I'll tell you why. In the beginning, rock-and-roll was all about having a good time. Most of the time that involved drinking, drugs, and getting laid often. The so-called "hair metal" bands were closer to this approach than any other form of rock-and-roll since the mid sixties. It was fun. Rudimentary skills are all that was really needed.

Getting back to the point; by the early 90's the so-called "hair metal" bands were getting a little long in the tooth. With the arrival of Warrant and Winger the writing was on the wall. But when Firehouse came out... : shudders : to my eyes, they were a group of guys who had no backround in the early or middle years of the genre. They just tried to look the part without actually living it. Yeah, you can say that about a few other bands, but that thought had never ocurred to me until these guys hit the airwaves. They sounded ridiculous, looked ridiculous, and were plainly jumping on the wagon to cash-in. Lots of bands did this, but no one made it more obvious (to me) than Firehouse.