Music Banter - View Single Post - Did Malcolm McLaren Invent Punk?
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #29 (permalink)
ADELE
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
How does that work when it was Marr that got a hold of Morrissey? Are you even aware of what you're talking about? And wouldn't it be more proper to say Joy Division instead? Because somehow I don't picture hook and co. going "Well guys, we just saw the pistols lets form a band, we'll call it New Order" than running into Ian Curtis and going "Okay, lets ride this Joy Division thing for awhile and put New Order on pause for a bit." The gig was no doubt important but you should at least get your facts straight on it.
Yes I am aware of that but I assumed you would be too if you are into punk as they formed after the Manchester gig as Joy division and later New Order but I am talking about the attitude behind them all and Morrissey was there too but whether he found Marr of Marr found him is geek talk as he was inspired to make music and later formed the Smith's but cited them as inspiration (amoung others.)

Really? Because I've found nothing on that I really don't think they did. Strummer was in the 101ers and Rhodes and Jones were in London SS before the Sex Pistols even formed, so obviously they did nothing to peek their interest in music.

Yeah and have you seen pictures of them? They were trottling out crap and Strummer said he was past all that overblown crap and wanted something new and when he saw the pistols he was inspired. Listen to The album Story of the Clash and he says it on the Album between tracks then come back and take back your words okay. Of course people were in bands and into music. Everyone is into some kind of music. But the explosion of creativity and attitude that captured the planet was due to the Pistols like they all say Elvis invented rock n roll but chuck berry and others were around before him. But he made everyone young on the planet get into it.

Are you talking about punks in terms of fashion now?
Fasion music attitude politics anarchy creativity not been able to play that well to get your message across

Than why are you unwilling to credit anyone to it but the Sex Pistols?

Because noone would have heard of it except anoracks had it not been for the pistols and there would not today be a whole section of music about it.

I don't think any one band invented punk and there's much more intelligent arguments you could make it for it. It's pretty hard to tell everyone the Sex Pistols invented it when its common fact McClaren saw with Richard Hell was doing and took it to the UK and we had the Sex Pistols (something which you oddly dodged responding to.)

He didn't see what he was doing at all. He thought he was a prick. He just thought what a great idea it would be to get some kids and make them stars so perhaps he did form the first boy band. He created them (without realising their actual talent) as a marketing ploy and gimmick a glorious mess.

Despite the fact I've credited it more towards Richard Hell, The Ramones, The Stooges and The New York Dolls...

You're not even getting your own argument straight now.

So now you openly admit to trolling, good job.

No I don't admit to that.

The Ramones had their own sound well established before the Sex Pistols.

I will give the Ramones the title maybe. Perhaps it could be the Ramones. This is what debate is about my friend. I still think the pistols created the era and made it historic along with the Clash and others. I am talking about worldwide as a movement of ideals and politics and DIY music where kids felt inspired and formed bands.

Yes, he created a movement just like Lou Pearlman years later.

You realize the Sex Pistols had virtually nothing to do with that thriving scene in New York in the late 70s right? That scene which the Ramones were apart of?

It may have been thriving in one club for about 200 people but the pistols toured the mid west and their album got all america noticing and not just a club with a few hundred locals.

Proto = Before
Post = After

Was jesus the first punk or was it moses? where do you start? I am not into dictionary definitions

Television wanted to be like the Stones? The Ramones, who wanted to be a pop band like the Bay City Rollers, wanted to be like the Stones? Stop making idiotic statements.

Yes SIR!

Punk is a genre of music, not a political statement. If this is about politics then lets look to Phil Ochs, Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger who make the Sex Pistols unintelligent anti-queen mess look childish.

Politics is not just about intellgence as George W will testify. it is about an ideal or a vision or a revolution forcing change. Would the Ramones have changed anything really? But bloody great band.

Once again another unfair generalization.

Even though it was a term and genre of music before the Sex Pistols?

No it wasn't and it certainly would not have lasted and gained it's own niche if you credit the dolls and maclaren was their manager then what are you saying? WHAT ARE YOU SAYING? Think my friend think.

Here's the ironic part seeing as I'm backing up my argument more than you are.
I think it is now two nill to me!
ADELE is offline   Reply With Quote