Music Banter - View Single Post - The rules of recommending music
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 07:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

I preach open-mindedness, but the reality is that most people don't want to explore new genres. At most, they want recommendations which are similar to what they already listen to (i.e. in the same genre). So if you want to show them new genres, it's best to recommend multi-disciplinary bands which mix a genre they like and a genre you want to show them. Slow and steady.

But it's getting to the point where I talk about music with very few people in real life. The average 'metal' person here seems to listen to Tool, NIN, Marilyn Manson, AC/DC, Metallica, System of a Down, Disturbed and Pantera. The average 'rock person listens to Muse, RHCP, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, AC/DC, Guns 'n' Roses, QOTSA, Green Day. The average indie fan doesn't stretch far beyond Radiohead, Interpol, Arctic Monkeys, Bloc Party, Death Cab, Muse, Killers and Hot Chip. That's not even mentioning the pop, pop-punk, rnb, and hip-hop fans.

I'm not saying those are necessarily bad bands at all. I like some of them. But it just irritates me that 95% of people can be matched up with a blueprint of some sort, as if no other bands exist. I can't see how people do not desire to discover new music.