Music Banter - View Single Post - The Top Ten Musicians Of Our Time
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 06:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Robert Fripp (King Crimson): Pure genius and I don't use that word lightly. This guy really doesn't get enough credit for reinventing the way a guitar is played.

Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth): This guy is up here because he's a great guitarist, a brilliant songwriter and quite a good vocalist too (both clean and harsh). Also because I simply identify with him more than anyone else - I share his love of obscure psychedelia and prog.

Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree):
Now Steven Wilson is an interesting one. I'd say it's better to call this guy an overall musician rather than a guitarist/vocalist. He seems to be particularly adept at writing for multiple instruments and has a great feel for the overall mood of a song... he's a great producer. He's a competent vocalist - I do like his vocals/lyrics but he does have a bit of a sterile voice.

John Frusciante (RHCP): Pure emotion really... everything that a guitarist should be... one of the few who can truly channel Hendrix's spirit without cloning him. Aside from his RHCP work, his contributions to Mars Volta and his solo work are great (especially Niandra Lades), and his work with Ataxia is brilliant.

Flea (RHCP): Two members from RHCP o.O - bite me... well that makes up for Kiedis I guess. Seriously though, I play bass and Flea is my favourite bassist - simple as that. He can improvise well, write mad funk lines, write more 'mature' lines, play for Mars Volta, do session work etc. Not to mention he's a hell of a trumpet player too (which he contributed to MV).

Mike Patton (Faith No More, Mr Bungle, Fantomas, Tomahawk etc...): I think the very best vocalists tend to do something more than sing. Even if they are only on vocal/lyrical duties, they should truly influence the way a band sounds. And Patton is known for all his crazy projects because he can do this. He is a remarkable vocalist too - incredibly versatile with a great set of pipes.

Valfar (Windir): Valfar is the man behind Windir. I love him for his musical vision within black metal. He is another musician who can evoke the greatest of emotion within me.

Herbie Hancock: I actually consider Herbie Hancock to be a brilliant musician. Quite the accomplished pianist, flautist and composer. He is great as a bandleader too, venturing into more experimental areas, funk jazz and pioneering in general. I saw him live and it's the greatest show I've ever been to.

David Bowie: Yes, I am a Bowie fanboy... the guy is amazing. He's one of the most prolific musicians around. He knows how to write music and who to recruit for his ideas. Great vocalist with a unique voice too... a true musical chameleon. And good-looking enough to send any guy down another path.

Andy Latimer (Camel): Another multi-instrumentalist with a divine sense of songwriting. He's a great guitarist (often compared to Gilmour), he makes the flute the most badass instrument around and he's a competent singer (not brilliant, but he has a nice voice). Yet another person with an extraordinary sense of musical emotion.

Nick Drake and Paul McCartney just missed out.