Music Banter - View Single Post - Bands offering free album downloads
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

I really hate to sound like one of those irate radiohead fans but they really are being ridiculous when I really think about it. The Pax Cecilia have been offering their CD for FREE and paying shipping themselves for long time and they've never said a word about Radiohead doing this. I mean recording something and putting it up on the net is a helluva alot cheaper than making a bunch of copies and paying postage to different copies and so on. That bands actually losing money in what they're doing (assuming they never got donations or anything for it.) They've given away about 10,000 CDs, all paid by themselves. She Died Real Pretty mailed me all their work for free just because I asked, I even offered to pay about 30-40 dollars first and they just told me no and asked for my address. The Kidcrash gave me their demo for free too as did the Lady is Not For Burning. Reuben have started giving away their old EPs at shows too.

What Radiohead did was take a very (very very very) small DIY very very underground and idea and throw it out to the rest of the world showing how unnecessary record labels are and what happened? Why a bunch of no one bands start coming out and complaining about Radiohead doing this and getting mad about them for claims they never made. Every one who downloaded the Radiohead album was fully aware of the quality and that a physical release would follow. I think people are bitching just because this is Radiohead and they're rich so it takes away the idea of it being "DIY" and "indie." As I said before, I think Radiohead deserve credit for bringing this form of releasing to the mainstream.
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote