Music Banter - View Single Post - Mixing Rock/Metal with Classical: should not be done
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008, 03:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzak View Post
sounds like it just isn't your cup of tea. Some will dig it, some wont.
Eh, well at the end of the day I guess it has to come down to that. I just find it sounds odd or misplaced, is all. Everyone's got their tolerance levels at the end of the day, like you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopunik
I still dont understand exactly what it is you're getting at in this thread.

I like rock bands that use strings, mainly. Probably because of that I have learned to enjoy bands that are influenced by classical, or work with orchestra's.

Given some of the bands that have already been mentioned (I was tempted to mention Bathory and Maiden and also Metallica's S&M album) I'm struggling to understand exactly what it is with classical music you dont like, as it sounds as though what you really dont like are certain vocalists?
Regarding strings, it's not strings I don't like - it's those scalic electric guitar riffs that are trying to sound like Bach, with heavy drumming on top, with heavy vibrato operatic vocals. I think it leads to a sound that seems altogether peculiar and out of place. But like Muzak said, ultimately all it boils down to is that it isn't my cup of tea.

I'm interested in how many people share my sentiments on this matter. It seems, so far, not very many. Sigh.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote