Music Banter - View Single Post - Merzbow
Thread: Merzbow
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
GravitySlips
Music Addict

Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music makes for some great background music if it's quiet enough.

Anyway I listened to Aqua Necromancer about a year ago and hated it. To be honest, I find "noise music" intriguing but ultimately unrewarding. I love it when feedback/dissonance/noise is used in a SONG, in something with more structure. Noise-rock is one of my favourite genres. A good song that can meld noise and melody (wrong word but ya know) is one of my favourite things in music, and a much more impressive accomplishment that merely just noise. Pure noise is too often boring and directionless, and devoid of ideas I feel. It's all too easy to make a noise album really, and while I'm sure there are good ones, a lot of it is just thoughtless sound created by people who are compensating for a lack of creative and technical ability.

Merzbow is a cool guy though, I like his collaboration with Carlos Giffoni and Lee Ranaldo. Given his good rep, I'm sure he's got some goods, and I'm sure one day I'll find out what they are. One day I will probably dig Aqua Necromancer. But right now I'd rather listen to Funkadelic or Can or something.
GravitySlips is offline   Reply With Quote