Music Banter - View Single Post - Okkervil River
Thread: Okkervil River
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 03:24 AM   #86 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I've decided these are the top 5 okkervil river songs.

1. So Come Back, I Am Waiting
2. Last Love Song For Now
3. For Real
4. Love to a Monster
5. It Ends with a Fall
Wha? Nothin' from The Stage Names?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
This isn't the first time you've mentioned a cultural barrier of sorts that prevents people from enjoying a certain type of music. And as I'm sure I've pointed it out earlier, it's a ridiculous claim. The great thing about music is that it's universal. If a boy from an island in the Mediterranean can enjoy Ryan Adams (whom may I remind you enjoys great success in "blighty") and his alt country wail without ever having experienced anything similar to the South or relate to the melancholy of Cesaria Evora's songs without actually understanding a single word she's saying , I'm sure English lads will have no problems relating to some American indie/folk band signing in his/her own language...
I'd like to add something to this, even if a bit late.

You are right about music being universal, BUT... it is true that a lot of people in, say, Britain, would not even give something like OR a go simply because it doesn't sound like Britpop (but crucially, not because they'd be unable to enjoy it even if they gave it a proper go). The only barrier, in that case, is the barrier that people set up for themselves. They hear something that's a little too far off their regular listening habits, and discard it immediately. These sorts of barriers are often rooted in cultural issues.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote