Music Banter - View Single Post - Ethan 08
Thread: Ethan 08
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

This is the thread where I champion relatively unheard of bands new albums that aren't really on any radar instead of creating a thread for them that no one really replies to. I won't be talking about the Patrick Wolf or Nick Caves of the world or even the Vampire Weekends and Fleet Foxes that get alot of hype from just around the internet in general. Though I may make exceptions for releases I feel are particularly fantastic and not that hyped around here but deserve more attention.

Headlights "Some Racing, Some Stopping"

Label: Polyvinyl
Genre: Dream-Pop
For fans of: Earlimart, Grandaddy, Grand Archives

They're nothing groundbreaking or original but it is quality indie-pop and the slightly folk edge it has makes it more unique than other hyped acts doing a similar sort of thing. It kind of reminds me of a more melodic and dreamy Death Cab for Cutie but with a male/female duet to put in a very mainstream context.

MySpace.com - Headlights - CHAMPAIGN, ILLINOIS - Indie / Pop / Rock - www.myspace.com/headlights

Evangelicals "The Evening Descends"

Label: Dead Oceans Records
Genre: Indie-Pop/Experimental

I just found out this band is actually on tour with Headlights, so it's cool they're albums are being hyped one after the other. I don't know who to compare this to or say it sounds like because there is so many influences and different styles at work here from like, Of Montreal maybe? to the Flaming Lips to some Radiohead stuff like 15 Step to even Marvin Gaye. Forget Vampire Weekend, this band is the most creative band of 08 (so far).

MySpace.com - Evangelicals - NORMAN, Oklahoma - Soul - www.myspace.com/evangelicals
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote