Music Banter - View Single Post - Simple Microphone PreAmplifier
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Slayden
Groupie

Lightbulb Simple Microphone PreAmplifier

I am an aspiring singer/keyboardist who wishes to go pro, but I'm having some technical difficulties with my equipment. I just bought a Sennheiser e845-s microphone (which depleted most of my funds) and a Hosa MIT-156 line-matching transformer (XLR to 3.5mm for PC recording). However, I made a grave error: I have no amplifier/preamp. When I hooked the mic up to my PC and tested the recording, the playback was barely audible, my voice a whispered ghost of itself against a hazy background of static when I cranked up the volume to barely get these results.

I have searched for a preamplifier, but nearly all are very expensive, often costing thousands of dollars with too many bells and whistles I don't need (for now). All I need is just a simple preamp to amplify the signal around 40dB (more or less) without all the accessories.

So for now, I would be satisfied with a single-channel mono preamplifier. Typically, I favor quality over price, but I'm willing to temporarily bite the bullet and get a stand-in cheapy piece of equipment that will do the job. Does anyone have suggestions for what I can use?

Edit: Damn I posted this in the wrong section. Sorry.

Last edited by Slayden; 03-04-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Slayden is offline   Reply With Quote