Music Banter - View Single Post - Van Morrison
Thread: Van Morrison
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 12:08 AM   #21 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by achoo View Post
astral weeks is one of the most beautiful albums i've ever heard. i also love his band "Them." i'm not to big on his later stuff though.
His peak was certainly early; but really he was prolific and consistent (with a very few exceptions) for 15 years.Including the entire 1970's; From Astral Weeks to Common One is flawless save a slight post-Veedon Fleece Funk.

Even his stuff since the mid eighties while not at the same level as at worst tolerable and has an occasional gem like "Avalon Sunset" or "Days Like This"

What's unique about Morrison is his ability to make an entire album feel like one song.

Find me a Van album with one bad song or a few so-so's...you can't! You either dig the concept or not and if you do it's end to end.

You rarely experience a Morrison LP as a collection of songs so much an "experience"

There is no greater example then Astral Weeks; but St. Dominic's Preview, Veedon Fleece and Common One are comparable efforts with the same indistinguishable quality that makes it so captivating.

This is not to say there are not tracks that stand out, of course there are. But what's unique is that for each person it's a different set; For me; SDP, Into the Mystic, Sweet Thing, Bulbs and Wild Nights are tracks that transcend context.

Very excited for the next and 40th (I believe) album from Van the Man.
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote