Music Banter - View Single Post - Listening habits
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

I think it's gone from being a sellers market to a buyers market.

Before a record company could release a greatest hits album with 4 new songs on it. If I was a fan of that band I had to buy that greatest hits album at full price for 4 songs just to have them on CD.

And it didn't end there

With 'special editions' of albums being released 6 months after an album has come out with bonus tracks for the exact same price. I remember when Echo & The Bunnymen's Evergreen album came out. I was going to buy it but ended up buying something else instead. I'm glad I didn't because a month later I found out it was being released with a bonus disc featuring all their sessions for John Peel's show , for the exact same price.And obviously only a hardcore Bunnymen fan would be interested in hearing old Peel Sessions and would have bought the album when it came out originally anyway.

Also these days you can listen to an entire album before deciding to buy it rather than just a couple of singles. I'd say this is the biggest thing that has stopped me buying more CDs , finding out that the 2 or 3 songs I would have heard are the only 2 or 3 good songs on the album.

Thats why record companies are losing so much money these days. It's a buyers market & they can't rip us off anymore.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote