Music Banter - View Single Post - Metallica : The Demo
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Default Metallica : The Demo

The leaked demo has thrown up many questions for me.

1. Demo leak?

Metallica are notoriously close lipped about their recording process and the copyright on their music. Why has this been out for so long and not closed down quicker?

2. Back to Basics?

Every band that has lost a core section of their original fans always promise a return of back to basics with the new album. No shit. Ths songs and even the production sound like they were an after thought from Ride the Lightning. Metallica are trying too damn hard to conform to fans ideology. Why don't they play the music that THEY really want to play. I bet it would'nt be this.

3. Is it any good?

No. It is not awful by any stretch of the imagination. However it is also derivative Thrash Metal by the numbers and I have heard the endlessly regurgitated riffs a thousand times before. When will Metallica learn that their greatest strength was that their abrasive sound was underpinned by Cliff Burtons melodic sensibilities?

Their music was never just about riffs and attitude. They were one of the few bands that bridged the aggressive nature of Thrash Metal and it's outside influences (Punk, Hardcore) to the rythmns and melodies of Heavy Metal. That is why they achieved massive success. Die-hard metalheads were wary but also scornful of the burgeoning thrash scene. metallica seemed to encompass both and do justice to them. After Cliff left they lost a little bit of soul from their music.

4. Is it a ruse?

Could they have possibly recorded an album of fillers as a diversion? Maybe this is not the album at all? Maybe they are just throwaway demo tracks to keep the public sated?

However I look at it, I feel that Metallica are a spent force although it pains me to say it.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote