Music Banter - View Single Post - Musicbanter Retro Reviews
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 03:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

MEAT PUPPETS : II

The initial description for the meat Puppets music left me with a little sense of dread. Punk, Rock, Country AND Psychedelia? I couldnt envisage how this was going to sound, so I was expecting a genre hopping album that lacked cohesion.

How fucking wrong I was! The marriage of the genres sounds easy and effortless. It does also sound isolated in their uniqueness and I could imagine them playing to a handful of people in a shack in the middle of nowhere and still giving it their all.

Magic Toy Missing has this almost Bluesgrass riff jangling on a mid tempo beat. Plateau would'nt sound out of place on many 80's American Indiepop albums and Aurora Borealis is a great little instrumental.

I also really like the production. nothing too flashy and with everything easily heard in the mix.

I hate to say that I am ignorant about a lot of 80's American alternative music and I need to adjust that. Meat Puppets has definitely piqued my interest. It takes in many genres but it has the sensibility of a pop album-good hooks, produced well and easily digestible. Recommended highly.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote