Music Banter - View Single Post - Vampire Weekend
Thread: Vampire Weekend
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #66 (permalink)
Expletive Deleted
Dancing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
I know of one type of music that people WILL listen to simply because it's cool and hip, and even admit to that (on occasion) and shamelessly declare that the music's alright but that it's the after-parties that it's really all about: minimal tech.

Not indie pop... for which I agree that people generally only listen to if they actually like the songs and the music. And in the case of Vampire Weekend, it's clearly a case of the latter. I alone (and others on these boards) can vouch for enjoying this album a lot, without thinking they're great or anything. Just objectively. And I see no reason why the rest of those who have said they like it should be posing. It's clearly a listenable and enjoyable record for those who dig the aesthetic.
People will listen to ANY music that they think is cool. Sure, there are a lot of scenesters into minimal these days because it's the "cool thing to do," but that's probably why there's backlash against it all over the place. It's not like it's a genre designed solely for cool people to hear at clubs. Besides, there's a lot more going on to make people like minimal than simply wanting to feel "cool."

You honestly don't believe that there are people who like Vampire Weekend solely because they're the new buzz band? That's an awfully naive sentiment.
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote