Music Banter - View Single Post - Hercules and Love Affair
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #58 (permalink)
Expletive Deleted
Dancing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemyat_thesix View Post
wow.

just, wow.

are you serious? a justice ripoff? are you deaf? seriously, are you?

my mind cannot even begin to understand this statement. you literally just blew my mind

justice is only "classic" because it's the only edm pitchfork and its hipster followers have heard. just because something is classic doesn't mean it is good, or has merit. just look at elliott smith
lolol

First off, listen to a song like "We Are Rockstars" or any of DIOYY's other early stuff and tell me that it doesn't just sound like early Justice vs MSTRKRFT. Besides, basically every Electro House group formed after/around the time of the Waters of Nazareth release is just trying to be Justice anyway.

Also, Pitchfork didn't even jump on the Justice bandwagon until Cross was released (and I think they didn't even review it until a couple months after, and did a hilariously bad job at it), so I wouldn't really say that at the time of its release, Waters or Never Be Alone were counted amongst hipster EDM. Certainly that was their main fanbase (the first time I ever heard of MSTRKFT was in one of Joey Arak's always hilarious Blue States Lose columns), but it wasn't the usual Pitchfork approved hipster dance yet.

Never Be Alone was a gigantic hit all over Europe and even in the US before Justice had even released another song, so I'd say it's a classic with or without Pitchfork's approval. Not to mention that at that point Justice were still pretty decently respected by most "real" EDM producers (Ellen Allien mentioned liking them, they got a DJ Funk remix, etc.).

And I didn't really mean classic in the sense that it's universally praised (although both Never Be Alone and Waters pretty much are), I meant classic just as an adjective meaning really ****ing good.
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote