Music Banter - View Single Post - Strength / Weakness
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

I'll do a few more...

Aerosmith
Strengths: During the 70s recorded some of the greatest soulful , funky , dirty rock n roll ever recorded. Steven Tyler is just bursting full of charisma and Joe Perry had cool oozing out of every pore on his body.

Weaknesses: Recording slickly produced middle of the road love ballads for your daughter written by Diane Warren? Oh f*ck off.

Flaming Lips
Strengths: Don't take themselves too seriously , write some gorgeous pop songs. Wayne Coyne seems like one of the nicest blokes you could ever hope to meet and is clearly totally bonkers.

Weaknesses: It's all gone a bit nice , dare I say a little boring. There will always be a part of me that would love to see them return to the acid tinged punk inspired noise they did during the 80s when Wayne Coyne ripped off Gibby Haynes with alarming regularity. And speaking of Wayne Coyne , his vocals ain't the greatest either.

David Bowie
Strengths: Can turn his hand to almost anything and make it work. Has an unmistakable voice. Fantastic songwriter and always has talented people queuing up to work with him. He may jump bandwagons but he does it long before anyone else even thinks of jumping on them.
Weaknesses: 1984 , 1985 , 1986 , 1987 , 1988 , 1989 , 1990 , 1991 , 1992 ........... you get the picture.
And the less said about T*n M**h**e the better.

Motorhead
Strengths: Lemmy , Living legend.
Their first 7 or 8 albums are a faultless example of loud & dirty rock n roll with plenty of balls & attitude.

Weaknesses: The current band might be technically better than the classic Lemmy/Philthy Animal/Fast Eddie line up but I don't think they have as much personality or the rawness that made the classic 'head' line up so iconic. Although Lemmy is still capable of knocking out the odd rock anthem from time to time a lot of the material from the last 10/15 sounds too much like re-hashed ideas from the past.

Stone Roses
Strengths: Wrote fantastic 60s inspired trippy pop records when nobody else was doing so. Recorded one of the greatest albums ever made that still sounds fresh almost 20 years after it's debut. Totally unpretentious, after an entire decade of studenty middle class jangly indie pop bands they were like a breath of fresh air and made it OK to like working class bands again paving the way for the likes of Oasis & Pulp in the 90s.

Weaknesses: That entire second album where John Squire seemed to be possessed by the spirit of Jimmy Page and the seemingly never ending disintegration of the band that seemed to last forever until it was finally put out of it's misery after an embarrassingly awful set at the Reading festival in 1996

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote