Music Banter - View Single Post - Buckethead: Population Override
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dr_Rez
Registered Jimmy Rustler

Thumbs up Buckethead: Population Override

Buckethead: Population Override

1. "Unrestrained Growth" – 7:47
2. "Too Many Humans" – 8:28
3. "Population Override" – 8:37
4. "Humans Vanish" – 0:33
5. "Cruel Reality of Nature" – 3:49
6. "A Day Will Come" – 8:34
7. "Earth Heals Herself" – 6:38
8. "Clones" – 4:33
9. "Super Human" – 4:49
10. "..." – 1:34

Population Override is easily one of the best instrumental albums out there. The drumming is usually somewhat minimal and simple unlike most other buckethead albums. Again it is done by Pinchface. This album is also done with keyboardist Travis ****erson. Both Pinchface and ****erson do a wonderful job, with ****erson mainly doing "rhythm and shared lead parts", while most of the time going off on long solo's.

I am not 100% sure but i believe this is a concept album, about well, the obvious (looking at track names). The album has a wonderful start with Unrestrained growth, being one of the longer tracks therefore having many of the solo's throughout, keyboard and guitar alike. The next two tracks (probably the most well known) are probably the best on the album. To many Humans is almost a 9 minute long solo on both members parts.

Next the transition of Humans Vanish hits the spot perfectly. It is what i believe a turn around in the world (and the album) where hope is given and a feeling a life being thrown back into the world. Continuing this with Earth Heals Herself, Clones, and Super Human.

The only downside to this album in my opinion is the last track which is just titled as "..." It's meaning and style do fit the album or context of anything else played. But since its only a 1:34 track at the very end it not enough to really make much of a difference in the overall album.

Overall i give this album a 9/10, and definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys long meaningful guitar solo's. Also do not be turned off by Bucketheads other works which are usually more on the fast metal side, because this is nothing like that at all and i feel can be enjoyed by a lover of any genre.
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote