Music Banter - View Single Post - Vampire Weekend
Thread: Vampire Weekend
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 06:11 PM   #80 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemyat_thesix View Post
this band isn't the greatest, but i have to give them credit. i am so burnt out on indie pop/rock, but these guys can hold my attention. also, i saw them live a few months back, and they were great. i can't blame for taking advantage of the hype and running with it. more power to 'em. if anything, it just means they'll get rich while hipsters continue to eat anything pitchfork feeds them, leaving everything but indie pop/rock alone
ya know...one thing i've noticed about people's general critiques of pitchfork is that they are, most of the time, incredibly appalling and shockingly uninformed.

one can love pitchfork, one can hate them, totally down to personal choice and affinity, but criticisms ought to be fair. crikey, i mean look at pitchfork's best new music section for the past 3 or so months. it has consisted of recommendations from all sorts of sides of the spectrum: primitivist bands, disco, noise, psych, folk, tropicalia, the range of genres has been impressive - and amidst all that, virtually no real bona fied "indie pop" at all save Vampire Weekend.

pitchfork is a review site focused on independent music of all sorts. their reviewers have opinions like all other reviewers, what is wrong with that? just because some people take their word as gospel doesn't make that pitchfork's fault. hating on pitchfork seems more of a bandwagon than anything else. like, it's supposed to be cool or something. well, it isn't cool, and it's not particularly funny either. and it comes across as being entirely idiotic when the claims made aren't even rooted in actual reality.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote