Music Banter - View Single Post - Bad albums by good artists
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 10:16 AM   #21 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

I'm going to go through my top 10 most played artists on last FM & pick which I think is their worse album

1. The Fall - Are You The Missing Winner
There are 3 fall albums I don't really like much. The Frenz Experiment , Cerebral Caustic & Are You The Missing Winner.
I'd probably go with Are You The Missing Winner as I can't recall a single song from that album without looking

2. David Bowie - Young Americans
Most people would rightly go for his 80s & 90s material but personally Young Americans bores me to death. Only Fame , Golden Years & the title track are any good really.And even then I only really listen to Golden Years out of those three.

3. The Rolling Stones - Black n Blue
There are plenty of recent albums I could include but i'm gonna go with Black n Blue because if there's one thing the stones should never have attempted it's reggae , and on this album they didn't try it once but twice. The rest of the album is made up of Jaggers crappy disco tunes & some turgid ballads.

4. The Clash - Give Em Enough Rope
I refuse to put Combat Rock here because the more I listen to it the more I love it. I also refuse to put Sandinista here for the sheer balls for even attempting it. I shall put here Give Em Enough Rope. I can handle The Clash being bad , but I can't handle them being boring and side 2 of this album is dull as ditchwater.

5. Motorhead - March Or Die
A lot of fans seem to hate Another Perfect Day because it's one of their most melodic albums , probably due to the influence of Thin Lizzy guitarist Brian Robertson being in the band at the time , but I love that album. I'll go instead for their March Or Die album , which was so boring to me I didn't buy another Motorhead album for about another 10 years.

6. The Cure - Wish
Crowquill is spot on with Wish , a horrible cynical attempt of latching the band on to the growing grunge audience in the U.S.
An awful AWFUL record.

7. Primal Scream - Primal Scream
Despite being a huge Primal Scream fan half their recorded output could be here. There's the jangly indiepop debut the band disowned which is rather good to me , so i'm not choosing that. I could go for Give Out But Don't Give Up which was labelled by one critic as a Black Crowes tribute album , but that was the first album I got by them so i'm not going for that. The remix album Echo Dek I personally think is rubbish . I also found Riot City Blues got old real quick too. But if I was to choose one I would go for their self titled second album which just contains every single garage rock cliche going.

8. Radiohead - In Rainbows
I'm going to come out of the woodwork and back up ComingUpRoses with In Rainbows here. Pablo Honey has it's faults but it's a debut & they were finding their feet. With In Rainbows my biggest problem is it sounds like you'd expect a Radiohead album to sound , theres just no surprises (HA!). Every Radiohead album has it's own sound , to me In Rainbows just sounds like a mish mash of all their other albums. And another thing , it sounded virtually identical to Thom Yorke's solo album. Just what do the other 4 bandmembers do exactly?

9. Can - Rite Time
This one is pretty easy. Rite Time , the late 80s comeback album with original vocallist Malcolm Mooney. I have heard it I just can't remember a single thing about it

10. Stereolab - Cobra and Phases Group Play Voltage in the Milky Night
Most of Stereolab's albums have tons of filler but if I had to pick a worst I would probably say Cobra and Phases Group Play Voltage in the Milky Night. More thought seems to have gone to the title of the album rather than the songs.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote