Music Banter - View Single Post - Seeking Vocal help
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

How long have you been trying these exercises for? Its taken me over 6 years to come up to any kind of passable vocal standard, just from singing and trying different things at random (I'm not a vocalist and I've never done it seriously beyond singing at home, so your mileage may vary)

If you've only been trying them for a little while its very possible you've just not got the knack for them yet. I was a terrible terrible singer for an inordinate amount of time, and even now I dont really know what I'm doing, but most definitely do a few different things.

1 - When people say sing from your heart they mean chest, not emotionally (At least not ENTIRELY emotionally)
2 - Sing it loud and proud! You're never going to give your vocal chords any kind of stretching or workout unless you belt it at least a bit!
3 - Gargle Salt water. I have a persistant scratch in my voice that I get from a combination of asthma and a slight constant cough. Gargling salt water tastes disgusting but it helps a lot with making sure that scratch is less apparent and my vocal chords just 'feel' more capable of belting out a smooth note.

(And no, it wont damage it, I learned the salt water trick when a doctor prescribed it to me, along with drinking a mixture made from lemon juice (Quite a lot), Honey (Quite a lot) and HOT water (A bit more than the other two parts, not too hot to drink!)

Gargle that lemon **** too before you swallow, it helps heal up any damage you've done to your throat from pushing it too hard (And works wonders on flu induced sore throats)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote