Music Banter - View Single Post - Pop, is it corporate garbage or does it have it's merits?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 11:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Oomph!
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
You're looking at one small facet of pop
I think you and I both know that an enourmous facet of pop is those types of bands.

Quote:
several talented acts like the Cure, Patrick Wolf, The Smiths, Los Campesinos!, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, The Magnetic Fields (Stephin Merritt in general is a pop genius), Guillemots etc. Which is a pretty ignorant thing to do.
The only artist here I'm familiar enough with to comment on is the Beatles. The beatles are OK, back in the 60's and 70's when it took very little to be considered 'edgy', yeah the beatles were kinda cool. But we live in a much more liberal, open society now and it takes allot more more than being psychodelic to effect people. The Beatles now days, are 'lame', in the literal sense of the word. They don't really have allot of songs that invoke allot of meaningful emotion. That's always been and always will be the problem with pop music, it's designed to be catchy, it's designed to be played in the background while your playing solitiare, it's designed to be a ringtone. I preffer music that demands my full attention.

All of thier best songs were at least rock crossover. They weren't cut and paste 'pop' and all of thier glory and greatness cannot just simply be attributed to pop. They are much more of a rock band in my opinion anyway.
Oomph! is offline   Reply With Quote