Music Banter - View Single Post - Pop, is it corporate garbage or does it have it's merits?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 11:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Oomph!
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
They weren't much more of a rock band than a pop band. For every rock song (Helter Skelter, Revolution 7) they had more Eleanor Rigbys and Here Comes the Sun. I don't really understand what your definition of pop is because your last post has me confused. If pop is designed to be catchy and background music than uh, well background music is kind of subjective. For instance I know post-rock fans who can be fully engaged while listening to Explosions in the Sky but I consider them background music, in fact I consider most post-rock background music except stuff like 65daysofstatic that tends to explode quickly. The ringtone comment is even more subjective seeing as I know people who have Converge or Metallica as their ringtone. So your definition basically amounts to it being catchy and alot of music, not just what is commonly called pop, is catchy.
About the ringtone comment. Any song can be converted into a ringtone, what I meant is that for pop music, that's it's purpose. You don't see commercials on TV selling Black Metal ringtones, do you? You only see pop, and rap.

The Beatles had a drummer/bassist/guitarist ensemble, they were very much a rock band with pop elements, not a pop band with rock elements.
Oomph! is offline   Reply With Quote