Music Banter - View Single Post - Isn't 'Pop-Punk' an oxy moron?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 04:24 AM   #85 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Ok, this is my take on it; when punk started it "sounded" more poppy, and from our perspective, it was accessible and catchy....as Urban rightfully noted, punk represented rebellion against the system in a time when simple chord progression and faster music could be considered a subversive alternative to disco, prog rock and other predominant music genres of the time. Later, the sound evolved, it became more dissonant and aggressive and people started calling that particular sound as hardcore punk. To distinguish it from the other sound, they named the original sound pop-punk.

So, just like The Beatles were a rock and not a pop band, so The Ramones were a punk band, no matter how different their sound is to what you and many others today perceive to be "true" punk. This is also why Dookie is not a pop, but a punk record.

Now I understand that when compared to Oomph! and Norwegian death-metal, the catchyness of punk doesn't really seem subversive, hence your dilemma. However, I'd imagine in 30 years, your children will wonder just what exactly you were thinking when you thought all those metal bands you listen to were badass and hardcore.

/end of thread

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote