Music Banter - View Single Post - Piano Rock
Thread: Piano Rock
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
GoodAnytime
Groupie

But to get a decent guitar sound, you are looking at a grand for a good solid guitar, effects board, head, and amp. I don't buy the monetary argument because that could be made for any modern instrument. You can get a rig cheaper - but then again you can get a decent sounding keyboard cheaper.

An electric piano would not stand up to the abuse baby or regular grands can take. But how the thing looks doesn't matter so much to me. I'd be happy with someone standing and putting feeling into the song, maybe smashing the keys with cluster chords or raking it up and down, instead of droning out ostinatos.

I don't think the piano has become unfeasible...just morphed into something more effeminate than it has to be.

I think you are right that there is no real rock education with the piano. But can you really teach someone how to rock? But you can teach someone to mimic old dead people who have no relevance in today's musical climate.

I don't think the piano will ever become the main instrument of choice of rock and rollers - and it never was outside of jerry lewis, blind black men, and abborations here and there.

My theory is that there will, for a while at least, be room for the alpha piano rocker who isn't necessarily the most talented but most fun. We just haven't seen him/her lately. And Tori Amos doesn't really count because she is not immediately approachable until you get into her scene.

I'm definitely far from the alpha. Maybe the phi.
GoodAnytime is offline   Reply With Quote