Music Banter - View Single Post - Pop, is it corporate garbage or does it have it's merits?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #48 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomph! View Post
I can't believe you devalue the significance of emotion in music and then criticize (just sentances later) my appreciation of art.
I didn't devalue it. Read again. I will not be lured into re-explaining myself each time somebody fails to digest a simple sentence.

Quote:
There are allot of different purposes for music, something needs to be played in an elevator to relieve (at least a little bit) the generally stale atmosphere at a hotel of bussiness office. But I wouldn't value elevator music on the same level as music that inspires feeling and emotion.
How about the other things I mentioned? Humour, fun, wit, philosophy, satire, narration/storytelling, politics... all equally valid purposes for music. None of which necessarily need to inspire feeling or emotion in order to be done well.

Quote:
Oh yes, passionate meaningful music is such a small, insignificant subset of music, totally.
Not insignificance (stop putting words in my mouth already, it makes you look foolish!), but a subset all the same. Like I said, music is not necessarily supposed to be "passionate and meaningful" - that's just one possibility for what music could be. It's not of any greater artistic value than music made in order to be fun and witty.

Quote:
Except the part where I was raised listening to the Beatles by the biggest Beatles fan on Earth.
And yet you seem to know virtually nothing about their lyrical content to the point that you exposed yourself by making that incredibly ignorant statement about the extent of their use of psychedelia.

Quote:
I am listening to Godsmack, they actually put passion and meaning into thier music which is why I like them so much. You can go listen to your little teeny bop "I want to hold your hand" Bullshit fine, but I have more significant movements in my bowels than listening to lame pop music.
It is true that the earliest Beatles stuff from '63 were lyrically speaking quite simple love songs. What I will say is that all of those songs express a lot more in terms of REAL human sentiment and things that matter to most REAL people than anything at all in the entire Godsmack catalogue - to say nothing of what the Beatles did later on. How about that, eh?

EDIT: I could go even further and tell you that Godsmack is actually complete corporate garbage. They're a major label band aimed at a certain niche market of angst ridden adolescents who are likely to find it deep and profound. At the root however, you find that lyrically they deal with the most hackneyed and cliched themes that exist period in popular culture and have nothing unique to say at all. Mass marketed exploitative rubbish.

Last edited by Rainard Jalen; 04-04-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote