Music Banter - View Single Post - 20 X 5
Thread: 20 X 5
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

No.1 MASSIVE ATTACK-MEZZANINE

I had a massive internal fight about where to put this album genre wise. There was never any question that it would be included somewhere along the line. The only question was where? After perusing many best of album polls, online forums and magazines I came to the conclusion that this album is vastly underated amongst the (so called) heirachy. Maybe this is because it was primarily born in the studio and not from an instrument. Their loss. Music will always be subjective and some great great music falls from our radar, while banal crap survives.

There should be no excuses for Mezzanine. The album is genuinely one of the finest albums made in the last 30 years. Any exclusive genre fan has been converted to this album upon hearing. Indie, Dub, Trip Hop, Rock, Metal, Hip-Hop, Electronica, Experimental, Ambient-it's all here. Not random. Not here for showmanship. The genre flitting is borne into every track. Can you honestly say that you have heard many albums as cohesive and listenable than this whilst still being completely original?

The album throws so many musical moods at you, you can almost find it almost impossible to hate. Fortunately, like it you will. Love it over time. Teardrop envelopes you with it's soothing vocals. It's hypnotic beat resembling a trusted heartbeat. Dissolved Girl rises majestically on a perpetual monotonous beat before exploding with venom and drowning you with it's cavernous, forbidding metal sound.

Inertia Creeps uses a middle eastern drum pattern juxtaposed against North American tinged Rap vocals and Black Milk is reliant on a Dub imitating bass line.

Everytime that Mezzanine is played, I gain something new from the huge soundscape on offer.

Angel. The albums opener.

Teardrop. Liz Fraser from Cocteau Twins guest Vocals

MASSIVE ATTACK

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote