Music Banter - View Single Post - Foo Fighters
Thread: Foo Fighters
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #151 (permalink)
[MERIT]
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I don't have a problem with the Foo Fighters wanting to write radio friendly rock songs. What my problem with them is thats ALL they do.
A band will only release maybe 3 or 4 songs on an album for radio play as singles. This leaves at least another 8 or 9 songs on the album that an artist can do more or less anything they choose to with.What do the Foo Fighters do with these songs? They just use it for bland filler tracks that are just as formulaic as the stuff they put out on the radio.
In my opinion and also several other people's opinion that I know of who have followed Grohl's career over the years & who actually think he is talented and have a lot of time for him think that this is a huge waste of his obvious talent.
Then "radio friendly" is a bad thing I presume? Should they litter their music with excessive profanities and sing about f*cking hoes and how George Bush is a bastard. The only thing that separates "radio friendly" music from the rest is the fact that it is popular enough to get lots of play. Even un-radio friendly music gets edited and makes it on the air if it is popular enough. Being popular has somehow become synonymous with being a sell-out or being formulaic (I realize you didn't say all this, I'm just throwing it out there).

And I agree with you that many Foo Fighters albums are full of filler, but the hits from the albums surely overshadow it. While there are some CD's where every track is a gem, they are few and far between, regardless of genre.
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote