Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Queen Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 11:46 AM   #125 (permalink)
bruise_violet
we became a carcass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
Please don't call the band with Paul Rodgers, May, Taylor and the back-up losers "Queen" - they are not Queen. There is clearly no such thing as Queen at all in the absence of Freddy Mercury. I'll readily dispute the suggestion that Queen ARE music, but say this: Queen WERE Freddy Mercury, and HE was Queen.

With that said, with regard to Queen I'd say they had maybe 2 good-ish albums in the early/mid 70s. The best one can get out of Queen is their first Greatest Hits CD - I don't think you can really go far wrong with that one. Track listing:

Bohemian Rhapsody
Another One Bites The Dust
Killer Queen
Fat Bottomed Girls
Bicycle Race
You're My Best Friend
Don't Stop Me Now
Save Me
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Somebody To Love
Now I'm Here
Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy
Play The Game
Flash
Seven Seas Of Rhye
We Will Rock You
We Are The Champions

It's a decent compilation with loads of anthemic tracks and good pop melodies. It is in fact the biggest selling British album of all time.

HOWEVER, with that said, I cannot listen to this band at all anymore without feeling sick. My tastes have changed so dramatically since being a kid that the sound just makes me want to puke. It's often shameless bombastic overblown bolleaux, but if one can get past all that then you can't really go wrong with it.
uuuuh if you hate them that much then don't complain about me calling Queen 'Queen' without Freddie.

On the concert tickets it said 'Queen with Paul Rodgers' on my T-shirt is said 'Queen with Paul Rodgers' on the posters it said 'Queen with Paul Rodgers' on stage they were introduced as QUEEN WITH PAUL RODGERS.

The whole thing was just a massive tribute to Mercury. Paul did not try to imitate him in any way. Bohemian Rhapsody was played obviously, and Paul didn't sing until the end of it, there was a huge screen with footage of Freddie singing it and then what looked like home videos. It was incredibly emotional and such an experience.

As much as I love Freddie and think he is an absolute genius, Queen was not just one man. It was so thrilling to see Brian May in the flesh, literally a few meters away from my face in fact i managed to take this picture:

now tell me that's not amazing.

in love with the stumps,

in love with the bleeding!

in love with the pain that you now feel...

bruise_violet is offline   Reply With Quote