Music Banter - View Single Post - Pop, is it corporate garbage or does it have it's merits?
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 03:38 PM   #180 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomph! View Post
No the point I was trying to make is that merchandise does not make mean a band is compromising thier music, I used RATM because I thought they generally symbolised anti-corporate leftism and all that, I didn't really know you guys didn't think that way of them so that was my only mistake, but non-the-less, you're wrong about my arguments principal.
I know full well why you brought up RATM. Yes, they did claim to symbolize anti-corporate leftism. Which seems fairly at odds with being signed to Epic, a subsidiary of SONY RECORDS.

It's all image, mate. If you buy into it, you're a sucker. And apparently, you have. Any band signed to a major label CANNOT POSSIBLY be anti-corporate, that's about as much of a paradox as you can get. Anybody serious about being anti-corporate and against the system would be with a tiny underground label and "staying real" so to speak - or alternatively, no label at all.

Furthermore, if Oomph were with a tiny label I guarantee you would probably have never heard of them at least not prior to the myspace digital era. I'll guarantee as a certainty one thing, anyway: it may not be possible, but if you were to go down the chain of links that it took to finally reach you, you'd eventually inevitably come across somebody or something which was reached via their corporate label marketing prowess. No freakin' doubt about it.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote