Music Banter - View Single Post - Noise
Thread: Noise
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 02:55 AM   #30 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
except for that's pretty much how jamc created noise pop in the 80's... love it or leave it buddy.
Well...the thread IS entitled noise, so I think it's perfectly reasonable to go on with this line of discussion.

Fuzzy vocals, humming amplifiers, tinny drum sounds, hissing, distortion, aliasing, and a general cheap, thin, narrow frequency response.

What did I just describe? If you answered "noise music", our survey says: eh eh! If you answered lo-fi, DING! Right answer. But what is lo-fi? In many ways it's not really a genre of music, but a recording aesthetic - at least I'd argue so, anyway. This is because you could add a lo-fi effect to any sort of music, be it hiphop (it often was), punk, indie rock, electronia or anything else. But more importantly, even in the indie/alternative sense of the word, you can find two bands who essentially sound very similar in their songwriting, with the only difference being that one records lo-fi, the other does not.

Calling TNV "noise" is a suggestion that noise and lo-fi are synonymous and interchangable. If a straight up lo-fi indie pop band like the aforementioned is "noise", then all lo-fi bands might as well be similarly labeled "noise". It can't be had one way and not the other. It's either all in, or not at all.

Bands like Sonic Youth and My Bloody Valentine are closer to the notion of "noise rock" owing to their experimentation with atonal noise and, essentially, free song structures. But other bands of late have only been associated with noise due to nothing more than merely taking the lo-fi sound to the extreme, or often, just being lo-fi period. And, at least for me, that does not warrant the classification. LOZ, if Slanted & Enchanted were to come out now in 2008, these same people would probably lump it in with noise rock.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote