Music Banter - View Single Post - Noise
Thread: Noise
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #33 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
When you do take lo-fi to the extreme where the feedback and hissing become prominent elements of the music
I don't feel it's any more a "prominent element" of the music itself whether it's extremely lo-fi or if it's slightly lo-fi. The noise would need to feature almost as if an instrument in its own right, and not just some byproduct of the recording process such that it merely sounds like a badly recorded pop song.

Quote:
you seem to have some sort of strange definition of noise rock which requires "atonal noise," which all noise is
That was, experimentation with atonal noise. I don't see that merely having a high degree of "lo-fi-ness" constitutes experimentation with atonal noise, certainly not at this stage in rock history.

Quote:
and free song structures, which I can assure you MBV does not have, and something that is certainly not present in most noise pop, which by definition mostly sticks to pop song structures.
When I say free song structure I include an anti-structure approach within that. MBV do not have it? I apologize if that is the case - it has been a while since listening to Loveless but I seem to distinctly recall that several tracks are clearly on the anti-structure side of things, as in one passage pretty much repeats over and over again for 5 minutes and that's it. I may be wrong, but that's how I remember said album.

I don't see that noise pop sticks mostly to pop song structures at all - much prototypical noise pop have single recurrent passages throughout their tracks. The "pop" part is attributed to the use of melodious vocals, type of beat, and certain other instrumental elements typically involved.

Truman Water and so forth got their noise rock credentials for being other than merely lo-fi. It is in reference to those parts of their music that do focus on free improvisation and so forth. Plus they definitely used noise like an instrument, as stipulated above. And not just simply a fuzzy recording quality.

Out of interest have you listened to TNV? If so, what's your view of them?
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote