Music Banter - View Single Post - Hate Crimes
Thread: Hate Crimes
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 02:04 PM   #183 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

You'll notice, I hope, that there is a difference between your kind of hate (although I'd personally call it a disagreement) and one that drives people to commit an illegal act and cause damage to others. :\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
I think the point he's trying to get across is that hatred is simply an emotion and can't possibly do any damage on its own. And I have to agree. I mean, sure, you can say that racism/homophobia are fueled by hatred, but you can say that about anything, really. You can say that the American civil rights movement was fueled by a hatred of racial segregation. I don't think any human emotion is inherently bad.
I think the point most of you are continually missing is that "hate crimes" are being punished more severely than regular acts of violence because they cause damage to an entire group of people, instead of just the victim. That's why they cause greater damage to society and that's why they merit special treatment. I'm not sure why that's so hard to understand.

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote