Music Banter - View Single Post - I am an uneducated American who supports the war for no good reason
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #75 (permalink)
Zombeels
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator View Post
Let me share a story told to me by a friend. About 3 months into his first deployment he was hit by a roadside bomb. He took a lot of shrapnel to his face, neck and arms, his torso was protected. He was evacuated for treatment and returned to his unit 2 weeks later. He was of course angry about what happened, but not in the way you might think. He was talking to another soldier saying that it was bull**** that they were even there. If Iraqi's wanted us gone bad enough to attempt killing them, maybe they should just throw in the towel leave. He was approached by a civilian that was hired to work in the dining hall and told that he was wrong. He and most of the people he knew were thankful that we were there. He came to them to say thank you, he was being ignored while they were talking. He approached unarmed soldiers when he could have ignored them. But one person doesn't represent an entire country. He is simply a voice with a face, not a number on a poll.
And one person does not represent the majority. Can you show one poll that favours the US occupation?
Quote:
When you read further into some of these polls, you get a different picture than the quick description. They didn't change any information, only show what would support the point they want seen. A few examples.
We are talking about what Iraqis think, not the US servicemen.
Quote:
With as religiously divided as Iraq is, they would need to ensure that a true cross section is taken. 93% of Sunni Muslims agreeing with attacks on troops is not a shocking number. Of course you know that Saddam was a Sunni Muslim. Sunni's were living the good life with Saddam in charge. Shi'a of course don't see things the same. What about the results from the Kurdish population polled? They also didn't bother to show the trend of improved quality of life. In 3 years, the polls show mobile phone ownership increasing 14 times over. Of course why bother showing that.
Who's picking and choosing now. There are plenty of polls listed outside of Baghdad that represent the Shia and Kurd populations. Are you kidding me,the quality of life has fallen so much. Have you seen the unemployment rates, the level of poverty. Mobile phones over 3 years. Why not show over 6 years.
Quote:
Nazi Germany was not a world power until they had already murdered at least 2 million Jews. Not until they had already invaded and secured other nations were they considered a threat.
Wrong again. Germany became a world power in the early 30's. Any comparison to the strength and power of pre-war Iraq to Nazi era Germany is ridiculous.
Quote:
Iraq was a threat to neighboring nations.
No they weren't. Show me one neighbor that felt Iraq was a threat.
Quote:
Iraq was guilty of genocide.
Now you are getting yourself into a grey area. The UN led sanctions against Iraq killed more and are also considered genocide. Bush's war on Iraq can also be considered genocide. Even the Gulf Invasion can be considered genocide. If you are going to look at the situation by the amount of numbers lost then the US takes most of th responsibility. Don't forget Saddam had the charges dropped against him for the Anfal Campaign.
Quote:
Iraq was attempting to secure nuclear weapons
No they weren't
Quote:
and had, at different points, chemical weapons.
Not prior to the invasion.
Quote:
They had them in the past and would not allow inspectors to verify that they did not have them prior to the invasion.
The inspectors were on the ground when the US officially called for a war.
Quote:
These made them a threat to the entire world.
They were simply not a threat to anyone.
Quote:
I am bringing up points from past wars to show the similarities. I'll say it again; history repeats itself.
But there are no similarities or no correlation. History means nothing if you've been lied to about the present.