Music Banter - View Single Post - Isn't 'Pop-Punk' an oxy moron?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2008, 11:48 PM   #142 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomph! View Post
I never said you can sell without popularity, I believe I explicity said that you do indeed require popularity to sell. I said that pop music is BASED ON selling, and selling requires popularity, but that does not mean pop music is based on popularity, popularity is a necessary correlation. It's indirect.
Um, popularity is what ties sales/plays together in the definition.

Quote:
I've explained this constantly through out this whole thread what that means, including just earlier with my 2 sources, here I'll re-post them for you:

They are both cited properly, it's right there.
Your original argument was wikipedia, just because you're now realizing it didn't say what you thought it did doesn't mean you can decide to cite two...who are these guys again?

Quote:
How do we define popular if not by sales? I suppose the band could make thier music and give it away for free, but who is going to produce it? How are they going to be exposed?

Popularity without sales is different than sales without popularity, bare in mind.
In Rainbows by Radiohead was released for free, that did fine in fact it topped many best of 07s lists. So you can define it by plays/how much it mentions by the media. There's plenty of outlets, hence why your original pop definition said "etc." too.

Okay, good job dodging the issue once again but please respond to the following things. I bolded the key part in the last request since you seem to be doing everything but explaining that.

Explain what ties being mentioned by the media alot, amount of plays you have, and record sales (because apparently it isn't popularity) and please explain where in the wikipedia article you originally cited as the pop definition you got that pop is "pop is a corporate enforcing, establishment building movement"
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote