Music Banter - View Single Post - Isn't 'Pop-Punk' an oxy moron?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 12:32 AM   #144 (permalink)
Oomph!
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
Um, popularity is what ties sales/plays together in the definition.
Sales are more or less determined by popularity, among many things, but that doesn't mean pop music is based on popularity. Go back to my analogy, The milk ties together my cookie consuption, the milk is a factor, but It's not the cause, my hunger is the cause.

Pop musicians are in it for the money, they need popularity to get those sales/money, but the concept of popularity itself is not the root.

Quote:
Your original argument was wikipedia, just because you're now realizing it didn't say what you thought it did doesn't mean you can decide to cite two...who are these guys again?
No, wikipedia is not my argument, I used wikipedia to back my argument, as well as two other sources.

I adressed the wikipedia thing anyway.

Quote:
In Rainbows by Radiohead was released for free, that did fine in fact it topped many best of 07s lists. So you can define it by plays/how much it mentions by the media. There's plenty of outlets, hence why your original pop definition said "etc." too.
Radiohead did not really release it for free, they profited from that album.

But I do want to add this, the producers are always in it for the money, but the pop musicians themselves may be in it for fame, celebrity status as well as money, but the point is, they aren't in it for the sake of expression, for art. Even if some of these pop musicians wanted to put some real passion into thier music, thier giant contracts wouldn't allow them to.

Quote:
Okay, good job dodging the issue once again but please respond to the following things. I bolded the key part in the last request since you seem to be doing everything but explaining that.
Are you reffering to this?:

pop is a corporate enforcing, establishment building movement

And your asking how that relates to:

the article said that the music is based on sales

Right? You don't see the connection between "based on sales" and "corporate enforcing, establishment building"? It should be needless to say.

Quote:
Explain what ties being mentioned by the media alot, amount of plays you have, and record sales (because apparently it isn't popularity)
Not sure what you're asking, the sentance isn't very coherent...not trying to dodge or anything, but could you reword that a little?

Quote:
and please explain where in the wikipedia article you originally cited as the pop definition you got that pop is "pop is a corporate enforcing, establishment building movement"
Here:

Quote:
Pop music is music charted by the number or sales, plays, etc., that the work receives.[1] Most commercial music of any genre is composed with deliberate intent to appeal to the majority of its contemporaries.[2][3][4], but, unless extremely popular in its own genre, it must to appeal to a wider audience to appear on the Pop charts.
Plus my other two sources even further back this up, and I could surely find many more sources too.
Oomph! is offline   Reply With Quote