Music Banter - View Single Post - Isn't 'Pop-Punk' an oxy moron?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 12:49 AM   #145 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oomph! View Post
Sales are more or less determined by popularity, among many things, but that doesn't mean pop music is based on popularity. Go back to my analogy, The milk ties together my cookie consuption, the milk is a factor, but It's not the cause, my hunger is the cause.
If you don't sell you're not popular. Sales and popularity are two things that go hand in hand and I don't care about your crappy cookie analogy just argue the subject.

Quote:
Pop musicians are in it for the money, they need popularity to get those sales/money, but the concept of popularity itself is not the root.
Generalizations are usually wrong, but congrats on making one.

Quote:
No, wikipedia is not my argument, I used wikipedia to back my argument, as well as two other sources.
Yes, you're using contradicting sources. Good job!

Quote:
I adressed the wikipedia thing anyway.
Really? Where?

Quote:
Radiohead did not really release it for free, they profited from that album.
They gave you the option to get it for free.

Quote:
But I do want to add this, the producers are always in it for the money, but the pop musicians themselves may be in it for fame, celebrity status as well as money, but the point is, they aren't in it for the sake of expression, for art. Even if some of these pop musicians wanted to put some real passion into thier music, thier giant contracts wouldn't allow them to.
Once again sweeping generalizations will get you nowhere.

Quote:
Are you reffering to this?:

pop is a corporate enforcing, establishment building movement

And your asking how that relates to:

the article said that the music is based on sales

Right? You don't see the connection between "based on sales" and "corporate enforcing, establishment building"? It should be needless to say.
Based on sales, PLAYS, ETC, there's more to it than sales.

Quote:
Not sure what you're asking, the sentance isn't very coherent...not trying to dodge or anything, but could you reword that a little?
Please explain whats the common thread between being talked about and being played alot and record sales, since it isn't popularity.

Quote:
Here:

Plus my other two sources even further back this up, and I could surely find many more sources too.
Can you read? There's one key word here that ruins that argument.

"Pop music is music charted by the number or sales, plays, etc., that the work receives.[1] Most commercial music of any genre is composed with deliberate intent to appeal to the majority of its contemporaries.[2][3][4], but, unless extremely popular in its own genre, it must to appeal to a wider audience to appear on the Pop charts."

And I have a question why do you need to keep citing sources? If this all so true and you know it so well you should be able to stand on your own feet instead of hiding behind sources.
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote