Music Banter - View Single Post - For the right reasons
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Wow, you actually have a point.

I hate when people say a band sucks and then justify it with "they're only in it for the money" which is just pure bullsh*t speculation based on nothing. You don't know what goes through a musicians head, weither they care about the music or not, it dosen't matter, what matters is what the music means to you.

So if there are people who are actually moved by the music of Nickelback then more power to them, dosen't mean you can't still mock Nickelback.

I have no problem with criticism but what I do have a problem with is thats all some people do, its an annoying habit on this forum especially that so many people feel compelled to start sh*t on a thread specifically for a band they don't like.

Since such threads should be for discussions between actual fans, I consider it trolling. Every damn thread EVERY F*CKING ONE OF THEM thats devoted to a certain band, its always reduced to stupid (and pointless) arguments between people that like them and people that don't, preventing fans from having friendly and helpful discussions because they're constantly interupted.
I think the two of you largely miss the point. You might not be able to READ one's heart, but when do you EVER? We ALWAYS make inferences about what people are likely to be thinking/feeling, it's quite a natural psychological behaviour. We infer judgments based on what we see, hear and know of a person's behaviour. And often, those judgments are correct.

It is not some SCATHING criticism to suggest that somebody is really only in it for the money. In the extremely commercialized world of mainstream popular music, it's obvious that a lot of people are more interested in the fortune than on making an artistic statement. Compare it with movies: do you really think when they get together and make a film like, say, Date Movie, they are trying to make high art?! Bolleaux! They're trying to make a fortune (and do)! Likewise, you know that when the latest naff redundant generic big dance hit comes out, the person making it with an almost 100% certainty was making it in order to SCORE A HIT, not to make an artistic statement.

I am truly sorry if this is a revelation to anybody but the aim of the overwhelming majority of mainstream popular chart music these days is, and probably always was, success and revenue, not artistic exploration and depth. This is just how it is. You either like it or you don't. But don't go attacking people for stating the case and the facts as they are.

God, seriously, I've even met the sorts of people who were expecting to be the next big generic artist. I've come across two girls just in the last 2 years alone at university who were completely up their own backsides, claimed they were singer songwriters and felt they knew they could be a success. When I asked one of them what sort of music she made, she could not answer my question. I asked her about chords, melody, all sorts. She hardly knew a word I was saying. Eventually she says she made r&b. At any rate, I continued with the scrutiny and ask about influences and whether she desired to be seen as a groundbreaking artist etc. Her response? That she saw herself as a product that she was marketing. Being the "best" was of no consequence. Being successful was what she wanted. It was a career option for her.

Most people going into generic pop are just like this. The people who go on Pop Idol and so forth...exactly of this sort. They're attracted to the fame, the success...and have absolutely NO high artistic aspirations whatsoever!

Hey, how about this. Cripes, I never thought I'd quote Nickelback, but they've got more poignancy that the sort of claptrap being propounded here: go listen to Nickelback's very own "Rockstar". Hear those lyrics? THAT is why most people want to be "rockstars". Not to be great artists. To be worshipped. Thank you, and good night.

Last edited by Rainard Jalen; 04-20-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote