Music Banter - View Single Post - For the right reasons
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
If a band who stole every move in the book from someone else, would they be writing music, in your opinion for the right reasons.

I'm asking you. Can someone with no original ideas be considered just as right in your opinion, as an originator.
how do you define 'right'? if the other party can provide me with their own definition of music that can support their creative output then i'll be able to respect it. i might not like it, it might go against my own definition, but i won't deny their right to expression. mind you in a case like that i probably won't listen to it a second time.

your first question is kind of broken. regardless of whether or not they stole moves, if the individual in question is actually writing as opposed to plagiarizing the fact that they're mimicking behavior doesn't detract from the intent of their creation. it ceases to be an issue of right and wrong and becomes one of originality exclusively.

it could be argued that david bowie never had an original idea aside from taking the best elements of original ideas the preceded him and arranging them in his own fashion to suit his own ends. does it make him less of an originator in my book? hardly.

the australian pink floyd, who clearly lifted all the moves they could from PF can also easily be seen as originators in regards to the level of success tribute bands can achieve.

after all... right is relative to an individual's perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote